Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Original Ending to Little Shop of Horrors

I knew the play ended like this, due to I took a lot of theater classes in high school..?
TROJAN PRIDE.

..aaand I read a long time ago (I think in People(!)) that they had shot this original/alternate ending, but I was never sure exactly how seriously to take that information, since it seemed more like an homage to the fact that The Birds also had an original/alternate ending that featured the eponymous menace taking over an iconic bridge that was planned but scrapped (giving us the current ending to The Birds which is maybe more unsettling because it just ends for no particular reason) (I read someone describe it as a very "European" ending, which was a nice way of telling Europe that its movies could use a little more, how do you say, montage musical au "Je Sens Le Good"..?).

But now, just when I had stopped saying, "holyshitholyshitholyshit" the original ending to Little Shop of Horrors is up on YouTube (for you to watch on your big, enormous, 12-inch screen):

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Mark well: there are diminishing returns here: the first part explodes my brain it is so sad (Ellen Greene in this movie is the only reason I sat through Pushing Daisies four episodes longer than I wanted to) (but I got past all that), the second part is less volatile, my-brain-wise, but still kind of headshakingly sad and the third part is mostly that song that sucked so much on the soundtrack (yes, I had the soundtrack); but wow.

I say:
Rick Moranis gets a Get Out of Jail (/Canada) Free Card.
Whatever movie you want, Moranis, it's yours. Even if it's a four-hour film about you and your pet goat wandering the country and calling it like it is.
Actually, that sounds kind of awesome.

Dan Aykroyd, jury's still out.

No comments: